Getting sidetracked by Joseph Campbell
On my cosy “stay in” Saturday I was looking up some pictures on the internet when my search ended with Joseph Campbell.
I already loved some of his quotes before, but now I just kept on reading and I was very intrigued by his view on the world.
Joseph Campbell was a mythologist who used storytelling to convey ancient teachings. It can’t be a coincidence that I stumble upon him just now when I’m getting more and more convinced of storytelling as a wonderful tool to wake us up and make us conscious about our own lives.
Reading his words lighted me up and suited me like the perfect pair of joggings on a rainy day.
Allow me to light up your Monday with ten of my favorite quotes from Guruji Jospeh.
- “Following your bliss is not self-indulgent, but vital; your whole physical system knows that this is the way to be alive in this world and the way to give to the world the very best that you have to offer. There IS a track just waiting for each of us and once on it, doors will open that were not open before and would not open for anyone else.”
(This one is of very high value to me. At times people told me to stop searching so much. But I can tell I’m very happy I did. I love this journey and it feels super right.)
- The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek.
- The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.
- No one in the world was ever you before, with your particular gifts and abilities and possibilities.
- Whatever your fate is, whatever the hell happens, you say, ‘This is what I need.’ It may look like a wreck, but go at it as though it were an opportunity, a challenge. If you bring love to that moment–not discouragement–you will find the strength is there. Any disaster you can survive is an improvement in your character, your stature, and your life. What a privilege! This is when the spontaneity of your own nature will have a chance to flow.
- The goal of life is to make your heartbeat match the beat of the universe, to match your nature with Nature.
- All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells are within you.
- Find a place inside where there’s joy, and the joy will burn out the pain.
- Don’t do anything that isn’t play.
- The big question is whether you’re going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure.
I hope you feel as enthusiastic as I do.
There’s much more great wisdom to be found in Campbell’s work. I’m definitely going to dive deeper in this interesting pool of teachings.
Have an inspired week!